Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Looong time, no bloggy...


Well, helllloooo out there in blogdom! Why haven't I blogged lately? I fear that Facebook has taken a chunk out of my down time, actually it snatched it and kept it! Okay, really now. These last couple of days little things have happened and my brain nudged me "blog this!" So then tonight, I was completely astonished by Elle and was again nudged, "blog this!!!"

As Elle gains more speech and more mobility, the things that she is able to communicate are astounding me daily! She has a memory like an elephant (elephant's never forget, right?) and a lot of times I have to rack my brain to figure out what she is referring to. Also, she has an incredible sense and awareness of people and their needs. Ok, I'll get on to some stories...

Where to start...I'll start most recent and work backwards...

Tonight we had at my parent's house and my 2 1/2 month old niece, Mia, was there. She was crying and Elle took it upon herself to try and solve Mia's problems. On several different occasions Elle jumped up and went and got Mia's bottle, and even managed to put it in her mouth once. Then she got Mia's toys and gave them to her. After she kept crying, Elle said "blanket" and ran and got the afghan from the couch and brought it to her. It made me cry to see the sensitivity and problem solving skills of an almost 2 year old (22 mos. to be exact).

Tonight while at my parent's, Elle found a doll that she got for Christmas. She had accidentally left it there on Christmas and I haven't talked about it. Now the unique thing about this doll is that her name on the box was Mia....same name as Elle's new cousin. My father-in-law bought the doll so it certainly wasn't planned. When she saw it today she immediately remembered it's name! I couldn't believe it. It has been 2 mos. without mention of the doll or it's name!

Last night she was eating green beans like they were going out of style while I was talking on the phone to my mom. I casually mentioned that Elle's eating beans like their coming out her ears. Next thing I know, Elle is sticking the green bean in her ear :-) She doesn't miss a thing.

Now this is spanning back to Christmas time. We spent some time with friends from Texas, Todd and Amy and Elle saw and heard them play their instruments. To this day, without us mentioning them, Elle talks about them, prays for them, and frequently imitates them playing their instruments. Whenever she hears brass instruments in music she says, "Dodd, Mamee..." and then imitates them playing.

Elle is so aware and has such a memory that she often has a hard time turning off her brain to go to sleep. She frequently lies in bed for upwards to 1 1/2 hrs., talking about everyone she knows, everything she has done in the last week or more, and everything her friends have done in the past week or so. How do you tell a 22 mos. old to stop thinking?!?

Last week she talked about Isaac hitting the table ALLLL week! I would frequently hear this recounted: "Iia (Isaac in Elle speak) no, no, no. Yayee (Elle) no, no, no." Followed by the demonstration of hitting the table. "Mama, amen. Pizza." This was recounting the lunch of pizza we had at Jenny's house and I prayed. We determined that this must have been the highlight of her week.

When I came home one day last week while Bernhard had watched Elle, she came to me and said, "Mama, Yayee...(shows bouncing)...cryyyyy....Dada...signs help." Elle's story of how she was bouncing on her Rody horse, she fell off and cried and Dada helped her. Phew, I was able to decipher her story!

Wow, I could probably tell more stories, but I won't bore you to tears...they make me cry just because she is so aware and communicative!

No comments: